Guardian Visa(Subclass 590)

The Student Guardian visa (Subclass 590) is a temporary visa for guardians of student visa (subclass 500) holders. This visa allows you to stay in Australia as the guardian of an international student younger than 18 years of age studying in Australia on a student visa.


  • Be a parent or person who has custody of the student, or a relative who is 21 years or older and has been nominated in writing by a parent or someone who has custody of the student
  • Not bring family members younger than 6 years of age, except under certain circumstances
  • Be able to provide accommodation, general welfare and other support to the student unless you are applying for this visa with the support of the government your home country.


Your current substantive temporary visa must not be one of the following:

  • Domestic Worker (Temporary) – Diplomatic or Consular visa (subclass 426)
  • Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403) in the Domestic Worker (Diplomatic or consular) stream
  • Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) – primary visa holder only. This means a family member of a Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) can apply for a Student visa in Australia.
  • Transit visa (subclass 771)
  • Visitor visa (subclass 600) in the ‘Sponsored Family’ stream or in the ‘Approved Destination Status’ stream.
  • A substantive temporary visa is any visa except a bridging visa, criminal justice or enforcement visa. It allows the visa holder to remain temporarily in Australia.


Applications can be made online at the Department of Home Affairs. Have all you documents ready to complete the application and payment to ensure you visa application is valid.


The cost of applying for the Student Guardian visa (subclass 590) is AUD $560.00. Processing times may take up to 4 months.


You can only bring children under six years old if either:

  • there are compelling and compassionate reasons
  • the granting the visa would significantly benefit the relationship between the Australian Government and the government of another country. If this is the case, you must be at least 21 and the student must be supported in writing by a parent or person who has custody.
  • The child must meet the same health requirements as you and have health insurance for the duration of their stay in Australia. Children six years old or older can come with you but they must apply for their own student visa.


This visa doesn’t give you working rights in Australia. However, you can study an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) up to 20 hours per week or alternatively, you can do 3 months of study or training.


Our services designed to take the stress and confusion out of the process of applying for a visa in Australia. Whatever your situation, we can help. Ready to get started? Contact us now: [email protected]